What CBD is and Why Is It Trending Day By Day?
The popularity of CBD is booming nowadays in the medical field. As a result of this, we researched to find out what it is and why it is popular now.
Here are some of the findings from our research.
First of all, what is CBD?
This is a short term used for cannabidiol, a cannabinoid, which occurs in the cannabis plant naturally. This cannabinoid is gaining popularity because of its impending therapeutic benefits.
According to scientists, the particular plant has several cannabinoids.
Along with cannabidiol, the plant has one more popular cannabinoid, namely THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). The popularity of this cannabinoid is because of its psychoactive properties.. It has the efficiency to make the folks high.
How Do Cannabidiol Functions?
This chemical component functions by connecting with our endocannabinoid system (ECS). It’s because the ECS is a regulatory system, which is made up of cannabis-like molecules that occur naturally. These molecules or endocannabinoids functions like a neurotransmitter, which as a result, shuttle messages through the overall body to help sustain homeostasis.
- CBD interacts with our CB1 and CB2 (cannabinoid) receptors in the ECS.
- The CB1 receptors are present in your brain, and as a result, they play a role in the functioning of memory, pain, cognition, and motor skills. Not only this, but it also has an involvement in the liver, peripheral nervous system, uterus, thyroid, etc. The cannabinoid that attaches to this receptor is THC. It attaches and prevents the release of neurotransmitters, which, as a result, alters the normal functioning of the body.
- This is the case with THC, but for cannabidiol, it’s not like this. As per the scientists, this cannabinoid motivates our body to create its own endocannabinoids in large numbers. This, in turn, may help lessen inflammation, anxiety, and pain.
- Whenever the word CBD arises, most of the individuals believe it as an illegal substance to use. This is because of its origin, i.e., cannabis or marijuana.
- As this is an important aspect to cover on cannabidiol, let’s discuss that in detail.
Whether The Active Compound CBD is legal or illegal?
If we say in technical terms, then it is legal, but still, it comes under certain restrictions.
Its origin cannabis plant has several varieties, and the U.S. FDA considers all of them as scheduled I substance. These substances are not accepted for medical use until now. Moreover, they have a high possibility of abusing and thus are not legal to possess or produce.
Conversely, the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, has legalized hemp, which is also a cannabis variety. The thing which makes this variety stand apart from others is that it contains only fewer strains of THC and is abundant in cannabidiol.
Thus, hemp-extracted cannabidiol becomes legal to use, whereas cannabis with high THC levels are popular as marijuana. It still comes under the schedule I drug list.
As studies are stating that CBD has several health benefits, you may also have a desire to know how it can benefit human health.
If you have such desire, then read the following topic.
What All Health Benefits Does CBD Has?
If we look into the marketplace, then we can come to know that this compound is becoming popular as a cure for all diseases. However, we can’t confirm that it cures the disease; instead, we can say that it can cure certain diseases or can manage the symptoms of some diseases.
As per the studies, it can manage a number of diseases ranging from anxiety to cancer. Not only this, but the studies also suggest that it can help ease the symptoms of schizophrenia and lessen pain.
Moreover, proof or evidence for CBD’s effectiveness in treating diseases is its role in treating epilepsy. In 2018, a drug, namely Epidiolex, got approval from the Food and Drug Administration of the United States. This drug contains CBD content and is in use for treating two rare epilepsy types – Dravet Syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome.
In fact, this is the first cannabis-derived medication that got approval from the FDA.
Now, as every medication has their own way to make use of it, people may think that cannabidiol also has its own way to administer it.
In fact, you can intake it not only in one way but in several ways.
Want to know the several ways of administering it?
If yes, then read on.
How to Administer Cannabidiol?
You can administer it in several ways. This substance gives you the opportunity to choose the intake method depending on your health condition and comfort.
This is because this compound is accessible in various forms. Some of the most common or preferred intake methods are:
- 1. Tinctures and Oils: These are the concentrated, as well as processed forms of cannabidiol. If you’re going to use this form, then you have to place the oil drop beneath your tongue with a dropper.
- 2. Vaping: In the form, you can vape Pure CBD Oil like e-cigarettes.
- 3. Edibles: These are a wide range of products like chocolates or gummies. To show the effects, edibles can take 20 minutes to 4 hours.
- 4. Topical: Lotions, creams, etc. comes under the list of topical products. These are especially for those who want to use CBD directly on the skin. This form can help you cure localized pain. Not only this, but it can also be helpful for hair care, skincare, etc.
- 5. Capsules and Pills: These are the oral forms of this cannabinoid. It looks the same as other capsules available in a drugstore. Normally, they contain CBD isolate or CBD oil.
As per the scientists, this compound can manage specific health ailments, but at the same time, some risks can also come along with it.
Let’s check out that.
What Are The Risks Of Consuming CBD?
A World Health Organization report in 2017 discovered that this component, in its pure state, can be safe. Not only safe but can also be well-tolerable by humans, as well as animals.
Though this is the scenario, still there are a few risks of having cannabidiol. They are:
1. Side effects: As per the NIH, it can result in low blood pressure, drowsiness, dry mouth, and lightheadedness.
2. Drug Interactions: Research claims that this compound may interact with the other medications, which, in turn, can lead to some specific side effects.
3. Pre-natal and Post-natal Issues: There is no sufficient evidence to check whether it is safe to intake during your pregnancy period or not. Not only during this time, but also during nursing.
These are the risks, which may come along with this substance. Thus, consult the qualified health provider before consuming it. This can help you avoid unwanted risks.
The information or details mentioned in this blog is strictly from our research and not from any medical professional. Thus, as we wrote above, it would be good if you consult a qualified health provider before having it.
We hope we covered certain basic, as well as important aspects of CBD. However, if you want extra information about it, then reach us.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia